Business Development Manager
January 11, 2018
Reporting to the director of business development, this manager serves a critical role in providing strategic direction and overseeing the tactical delivery of business development initiatives for the M&A, Private Funds and Capital Markets practices within the Business Department. This professional will work proactively with department and practice area chairs and in coordination with all members of the business development team. This team member will serve as a key coordinator of cross-practice life science, technology and other industry verticals. This highly visible team member will develop and support initiatives that help drive new business from both existing clients and prospects and foster a culture of cross servicing. Additional practices may be assigned.
In addition to supporting the practices and verticals listed above, this role may include additional practice areas or firm initiatives to be determined as needed by the director of business development.
- Responsible for having a robust understanding of the practice areas supported including services provided, attorney and group experience, clients served and market competition.
- Working directly with practice group leadership, develop and implementing business development plans for the assigned practices.
- Leveraging related business plans, develop formal marketing and business development initiatives aimed at realizing plan goals. As appropriate, assist attorneys with development of individual business plans that support the practice and department plans.
- Through collaboration with industry group chairs and other business development managers, work to ensure that supported attorneys are meaningfully engaged in industry-focused initiatives.
- Act as a strategic advisor to supported department and practice area leaders and individual attorneys in connection with all business development activities including, identifying business development opportunities with new and existing clients and identifying opportunities for cross servicing.
- Provide continuous assessment of existing business development plans and tracking ROI of initiatives to ensure funding and time investments are appropriately allocated.
- Responsible for practice messaging in sales collateral, marketing materials, external website and legal rankings and surveys.
- Lead pre-pitch assessment, material development and RFP support.
- Responsible for ensuring a timely flow of information on matters and expertise that can inform internal knowledge and external PR purposes, content marketing and thought leadership opportunities.
- Coordinate firm’s research resources provide actionable business intelligence, which may include prospect research, industry or geographic research and competitive analysis at the practice area level.
- Develop target audience strategy for external communications developed by the supported groups. In conjunction with this, responsible for acting as an ambassador to the practices on the importance of CRM to the firm’s business development initiatives.
- Develop and maintain relationships with external organizations that are strategically relevant. Where the external relationship includes a financial commitment to sponsor the organization, ensure that we are utilizing the sponsorship to its maximum capacity, monitor and report on ROI and provide recommendations for future investments.
- Management:10+ years marketing or business development experience, with significant and demonstrable project management experience.
- Client service: Ability to manage multiple projects at once and respond quickly to inquiries so as to serve as an ambassador of superior internal client service. This role requires hands on abilities with limited support in a team environment. Ability to motivate attorneys while prioritizing workload is essential.
- Budgetary: Experience in managing both project-based and contributing to longer-term marketing and communications budgets.
- Communication skills: The candidate must be able to effectively communicate in both verbal and written formats, and, in conjunction with the communication manager, leverage established tone and message for all internal and externally facing materials.
- Work style: Ability to prioritize competing stakeholders and deadlines with a pleasant and professional demeanor.
- Education and prior service: A Bachelor's Degree is required, preferably in business development, marketing, communications or a related field. Experience in a law firm and/or professional services industry is preferred but not required.
How to Apply
Please click here to apply now.