Foley Hoag Launches Blog to Focus on Patent Trial and Appeal Board Issues
Will feature insight and commentary from attorneys within firm’s PTAB Proceedings Practice
November 2, 2015
The “Death Valley” for IPR Petitioners, the remarkable effectiveness of Alice challenges, and the vagaries of IPR filing receipts are among the topics discussed on Foley Hoag LLP’s recently launched PTAB Blog.
The blog’s authors include a former Administrative Patent Judge and the many seasoned lawyers who make up Foley Hoag’s PTAB Practice Group. The blog will examine PTAB case developments as they occur, offer practice tips on all stages of PTAB proceedings, and provide insider insight on how the PTAB handles both common and novel situations. The blog’s authors will also shed light on all types of matters before the PTAB, including inter partes review (IPR), post-grant review (PGR), covered business method (CBM) review, derivations, interferences, ex parte appeals, and reexamination appeals.
The blog’s primary authors are:
- Scott E. Kamholz, M.D., Ph.D., partner. Dr. Kamholz is the only former PTAB judge in private practice who has overseen AIA trial proceedings from start to finish. He handled over 120 inter partes review and covered business method review proceedings as a judge, and wrote over 80 appeal opinions. He has devoted his time before and since his judicial experience to counseling clients on all patent matters in all technology fields.
- DeAnn F. Smith, partner. Ms. Smith is a registered U.S. patent attorney with more than 20 years of experience in obtaining worldwide patent protection for pharmaceutical and life sciences clients and advising on matters relating to intellectual property portfolio strategy. She has substantial experience in interference proceedings before the Board.
- Walter M. Egbert, III, partner. Mr. Egbert’s practice comprises all areas of intellectual property law. His patent post-grant experience includes over 25 inter partes and ex parte reexamination proceedings and appeals before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
- Peter A. Sullivan, partner. Mr. Sullivan is a registered U.S. patent attorney with more than 20 years of experience advising clients on intellectual property matters. His patent post-grant experience includes ex parte reexamination proceedings and appeals before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board. Mr. Sullivan has litigated cases involving intellectual property issues before federal and state trial courts and appellate courts, and also in the ITC. He also has filed amicus curiae briefs on behalf of bar associations and clients in federal appellate courts and in the United States Supreme Court.
- Philip C. Swain, partner. With more than 29 years of experience in patent litigation, Mr. Swain has had a broad range of experience as a patent trial and appellate lawyer.
- Stephen Kenny, associate. Mr. Kenny focuses on patent portfolio development and management, competitive intelligence and analysis, and due diligence investigations. He is a former patent examiner.
- Peter K. Sollins, Ph.D., associate. Dr. Sollins is a registered patent attorney with patent prosecution experience in medical devices, polymers, software and consumer products. He has also been involved in several ex parte and inter partes reexaminations and related patent litigation in both federal court and the ITC.
Lawyers in Foley Hoag's PTAB Practice Group collectively have decades of experience addressing patent-related obstacles from both sides of the table - patent holder and potential infringer - and are skilled at integrating post grant proceedings into clients’ overall business and IP strategies. They represent clients attempting to invalidate patents and those protecting their patent rights. The firm’s PTAB lawyers have considerable experience spanning the gamut of matters heard by the PTAB.
For more information on the PTAB Proceedings Practice, please click here.
About Foley Hoag LLP
Foley Hoag provides innovative, strategic legal services to public, private and government clients across the globe. We have premier capabilities in the life sciences, healthcare, technology, energy, professional services and investment management fields, and in cross-border disputes. Our professionals possess the skills and experience to provide exceptional senior level service to clients ranging from startups to multinational companies to sovereign states. For more information, visit www.foleyhoag.com or follow @FoleyHoag on Twitter.